The Gary Sinise Foundation has been partnering with local businesses, the LAPF and others through the COVID-19 pandemic to help not only our nation’s military, but first responders as well. When the Los Angeles Police Foundation created a place for officers to rest between shifts at the LAPD Academy in Elysian Park, the Gary Sinise Foundation stepped in to help.(ABC7)
The LAPD recently instituted 12 hour shifts for officers. Some of the officers can’t go home because of high risk family members. So a place for them to rest has been set up at the Los Angeles Police Academy. Thanks to local businesses and the Gary Sinise Foundation, they have access to food, dry-cleaning, shoe shining, and even a barber.
The foundation’s assistance for veterans is well known, and they haven’t stopped helping all of our nation’s defenders in the midst of this pandemic. Their newest branch, the “Emergency COVID-19 Combat Service” has grants available to help in the fight.
Here’s a list of just a few of the things they are doing, according to the Emergency Covid-19 Combat Service:
- Provided gift cards to Fisher House San Diego at Naval Medical Center San Diego to cover the cost of purchasing food, paper goods, and cleaning supplies.
- USO Kaiserslautern in Germany, are keeping service members happy by ensuring that snacks and tasty bites are available for those coming through the Medical Transient Detachment location at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center.
- Fort Campbell in Kentucky held a pizza pick-up station to boost morale and serve meals to its troops with 175 families receiving a large pizza.
- Fort Bragg in North Carolina hosted a “drive-thru” meal for 1,300 people.
- Through a sponsorship supporting Dorn Angels Food Pantry at Dorn VA Medical Center in Columbia, South Carolina, elderly veterans, and patients considered high risk or vulnerable, are receiving groceries delivered by VA staff.
- Lumberton Fire and EMS will be implementing virus-killing devices to their building and ambulances thanks to a grant from the Foundation.
- Partnered with the Los Angeles Police Foundation (LAPF) to sponsor free barbers and shoe shiners at the LAPD Academy for two weeks.
- Supplied decontamination machines to Addison Township Fire Department and Oxford Fire Department in Michigan.
- Worked with the Los Angeles VA Medical Center to support their Bridge Housing project for homeless veterans. We helped to stock their pantry with non-perishables, canned goods, and a variety of snacks.
The foundation gave a grant to the Northwest Fire District in Tucson, Arizona to purchase two pieces of equipment for disinfecting ambulances, fire trucks, and fire stations (KVOA).
The Gary Sinise Foundation’s continual standing for Americans who fight enemies of all kinds is worth gold.
“My personal mission is what led to the founding of the Gary Sinise Foundation in 2011. We will continue to expand this mission in support of our nation’s defenders, veterans, first responders and their loved ones, while upholding the importance of keeping our country strong by taking care of those who serve.” Gary Sinise
Featured photo- screenshot from Foundation video