A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a restaurant in Ansbach, Germany at around 10:12 p.m. on Sunday, injuring at least 10.
Ansbach Mayor Carda Seidel told reporters in a press conference that initially it was thought to have been a gas leak explosion, but officials determined it to be an explosive device. Helicopters and large numbers of special forces police were deployed.
The explosion occurred in front of a wine bar in the Pfarrstraße, near the Ansbach Open – a 3 day music festival that normally attracts many visitors. The concert was cancelled for the rest of the weekend.
According to the German media Nordebayern,
Around 2,500 visitors left the venue. “Without panic, calm and orderly manner”, as the authorities said. A hotel and surrounding houses were evacuated for safety’s sake…
…The downtown area is cordoned off a large area, in the surrounding streets is to shortly after midnight still. Sirens can be heard now only sporadically…
In town house [city hall], the police have set up their operations center. A crisis team was formed. The Palace Square is full of emergency vehicles. A special task force (SEC) of the police is in use. Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann (CSU) has departed from Berlin and traveling to Ansbach. From Nuremberg volunteers firefighters from Katzwang and Almoshof were called to assist.
According to unconfirmed reports, the man who blew himself up was denied entry to the music festival just prior to the explosion. If he had been able to enter, hundreds would have been killed and injured.
No information on the bomber has yet been released by authorities.
#Ansbach – Witness reports claim just before before the explosion a man with a backpack was denied entry to the music festival
— Gregor Peter (@L0gg0l) July 24, 2016
— Israel News Flash (@ILNewsFlash) July 24, 2016
— Carmen Aguilera (@Carmenaguiler84) July 25, 2016
— RT (@RT_com) July 25, 2016
— RT (@RT_com) July 24, 2016