MV-22 Osprey crashes in Hawaii

By Faye Higbee

Update May 20, 2015 – another US Marine has died from the MV-22 Osprey crash. This raises the death toll to 2.

Bellows Air Force Station, Windward, Hawaii – Hawaii News Now reported that another military aircraft crashed, this time in Hawaii. An MV-22 Osprey experienced what Marine officials called a “hard landing” on the Island of Oahu yesterday, killing 1 and  injuring 21 others. Those 21 were transported to local hospitals for treatment of injuries that ranged from critical to minor.

The aircraft was from the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit based at Camp Pendleton, San Diego, California and had been deployed to Hawaii for 10 months. 22 people were on the twin rotor plane, 21 Marines and one Navy Corpsman. It went down at approximately 11:40 am yesterday.

MV-22 osprey

the Osprey crash on Oahu, May 17, 2015 Photo credit: Jessica Akina

Witnesses on the crowded beach stated that they saw 3 Ospreys doing “rotations” in the sky just prior to the crash. Two of the aircraft “came back up” but one did not.

The MV-22 Osprey is a twin rotor plane that can take off and land like a helicopter. The rotors tend to kick up dirt as they get closer to the ground, but in this case, what onlookers thought might have been clouds turned out to be smoke.


The osprey just before it crashed- Hawaii News Now Photo



Just after the crash- Hawaii News Now photo

According to the Business Insider one Waimanalo resident stated,

Donald Gahit said he saw smoke rising in the air from Bellows when he looked outside his house after hearing sirens pass by. “At first I thought it was clouds, but it was moving fast and it was pretty dark.” 

The crash is under investigation.

“It’s tragic and our condolences go out to the families and the loved ones of the victim. But right now we need to investigate further and see what happened. I can tell you that MV-22s have been a very reliable aircraft … We’ve provided aide and assistance in the Philippines. They’re very reliable tilt rotor aircrafts.” Marine spokesman Captain Alex Lim