In April, 2021, an Illinois Judge ruled that the FOID program was unconstitutional for guns that are kept in the home. Democrat lawmakers not only ignored that ruling, they passed Illinois FOID legislation that actually made it worse: HB 562. The Illinois Senate passed the bill 40-17 on Monday, May 31 with amendments. The House passed it on April 23, but failed to pass the final amended bill at this legislative session. (WICS/WRSP)
There are numerous issues with our state’s FOID system, including the wait times that applicants are facing and the unnecessary hurdles it places for people trying to lawfully enjoy their 2nd Amendment rights. Unfortunately, this bill doesn’t do anything to fix those problems but in fact will make things worse for law-abiding gun owners. Private sales, including between family and friends, will now potentially require new fees and owners will have to hold on to paperwork for 20 years. We should be finding ways to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals, instead of making it harder for law-abiding citizens to take part in their constitutional rights.”State Senator Jason Barickman, R-Bloomington
The problem with FOID cards is that they interfere with ordinary citizen’s right to keep and bear arms. They do nothing to stop criminals from obtaining or using them. Over Memorial Day weekend, 34 people were shot, 3 fatally, in Chicago (a weekly occurrence). Did even one of those people have an FOID card? Guaranteed they did not. In the guise of “modernizing the FOID card,” they seem to have made things worse.
The FOID legislation:
- The new bill requires FFL holders and others to retain records of firearm sales/transfers for 20 years.
- FOID (Firearm Owner Identification Cards) and Concealed Weapon permits will be consolidated into one document.
- It shortens the time that an FOID card is valid, but says that gun owners can apply for one that doesn’t expire if they submit fingerprints.
- The bill provides for enhanced background checks.
- Illinois State police are charged with creating a law enforcement only portal to search for any FOID cards that might have been revoked. And a printout of the documentation will be available.
- If a person is not an FFL holder, they must contact the Illinois State Police immediately with the person’s FOID card information upon transferring a firearm to anyone.
Democrats firmly believe that they are “keeping firearms out of the hands of dangerous people.” In actual fact, they are creating even more headaches for law abiding Americans and business owners, and doing nothing to keep firearms away from “dangerous people.”
Featured photo: Illinois FOID Card
Sign up for our Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children newsletter and check out our shop while you’re there! Our website link has been censored on Facebook and Instagram, so be sure to visit us on the web or Twitter, Parler, MeWe page and group, GAB, and new Instagram account is here. Please note that the Instagram account is brand new as of January 13. Yes, Facebook-Instagram took us down again. Please share the new account. Here is the link to our new gun store at https://unclesamsguns.com/.