Gunfire erupted at the Aziz Istanbul Patisserie in Ouagadougou, the capital city of Burkina Faso around 9 p.m. (5 p.m. EDT) on Sunday night. The Turkish restaurant is a popular tourist venue for its European cakes and pastries, and was packed with people celebrating a birthday party. The death toll has risen to 18 so far with at least 8 wounded, but that may increase. The perpetrators were jihadist militants who were shot dead by security forces.
“At this moment our forces have neutralized two terrorists and the number of casualties, still provisional, is 18 dead and several wounded.” Communications Minister and government spokesman Remy Danguinou
At least one Canadian and one French tourists were among the dead. At least eight of the dead were foreigners.
No specific group has yet claimed responsibility, although rumors are charging it to either al-Qaeda or ISIS. The northern border region of Burkina Faso is close to Mali, which has a severe problem with Islamic terrorists.
Security forces arrived at the scene with armored vehicles after reports of shots fired near Aziz Istanbul, an upscale restaurant in Ouagadougou. The attack brought back painful memories of the January 2016 attack at another cafe that left 30 people dead.
Police Capt. Guy Ye said three or four assailants had arrived at the Aziz Istanbul restaurant on motorcycles, and then began shooting randomly at the crowds dining Sunday evening.
The actual number was said to be 2 assailants. Victims were trapped inside the restaurant during the gunfight, which lasted into Monday morning – about 7 hours. The suspects had barricaded themselves in the restaurant. Burkina Faso security forces ended the attack, and freed the patrons.
A similar jihadi attack occurred last year at another cafe only a short distance from this one.
Gunmen kill at least 17 in attack on Burkina Faso restaurant https://t.co/n6i5T8Lj5d
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) August 14, 2017
Gunmen killed at least 18 people at a cafe in Burkina Faso. The attack was eerily similar to an assault in 2016. https://t.co/XXIWbe61ou
— The New York Times (@nytimes) August 14, 2017
— dwnews (@dwnews) August 14, 2017
— Al Jazeera News (@AJENews) August 14, 2017
At least 17 dead in suspected jihadist attack, authorities say https://t.co/Lmc2uiU4kA
— Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) August 14, 2017
— ITV News (@itvnews) August 14, 2017
— تحليل متطرفين (@securitygrad21) August 13, 2017
— Curt and Frank (@curtandfrank) August 14, 2017
“Gunmen killed at least 18 people at a cafe in Burkina Faso. The attack was eerily similar to an assault in 2016. https://t.co/oUUPVyMPfl“
— Jean-François Musy (@jfmusy) August 14, 2017
Terrorists shoot up a Turkish restaurant in Burkina Faso. https://t.co/InTCyWrXfd
— DTTO NEWS (@dttonews) August 14, 2017