Atlanta’s Jackson Airport Evacuated for Suspicious Package

By Faye Higbee

Atlanta’s Jackson Airport Evacuated for Suspicious Package

On Wednesday, the Atlanta Airport was evacuated for a brief time due to a “suspicious package.” After that, a report that floated around social media claimed there was also an “active shooter” at the airport. Due to increased security after the Brussels attacks, people are more than a little jumpy over any kind of disruption. Officials stated that the interruption was brief.

Both north and south terminals were evacuated after a bomb-sniffing dog alerted to a package in the baggage claim area. The incident occurred at around 9:41 a.m., but the package was cleared  by 10:03 a.m. and passengers were allowed back in the terminals. An investigation is ongoing.

As panic ensued over the possibility of an active shooter, the Atlanta Police Department had to advise people there was no shooting involved.

The Atlanta Airport wasn’t the only place people thought there was an active shooter.

Fort Gordon’s Lockdown March 24, 2016 during an Active Shooter Drill

An “Active Shooter” scare also occurred at Fort Gordon on Thursday around noon, as someone called 911 after seeing armed men walking around the area. What they didn’t know was that the Military was conducting an “active shooter” training drill. The ensuing panic caused officials to cancel the drill and try to calm everyone down.
The Fort went into Lockdown briefly while an investigation was conducted.

According to CNN,

A drill was scheduled for, and was underway, Thursday in Fort Gordon’s Darling Hall when “an individual in the building reacted to an event unfolding in the scenario and call(ed) it into 911,” the base explained on Facebook.

“Because Fort Gordon officials were unable to definitely determine whether or not the 911 call was associated with the exercise, Fort Gordon officials took the report as a legitimate threat, canceled the exercise and put the installation on ‪#‎lockdown‬,” the installation noted.

Authorities cleared the building and determined “there was no real-world active shooter,” much less any casualties.